A little about your chef...

My name is Mackenzie and I'm a college student in St. Louis, MO. I've always had a passion for cooking and baking but being in college has made it a bit of a challenge! Hope you enjoy these recipes!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Chocolate, Raspberry, Walnut Breakfast Quinoa

Libby bought an induction stove for our suite this weekend :D It is so great! We can make so many things now - including basically every kind of meal! Now that we have a world of opportunities... I returned to some of the pinterest recipes that I had thought I'd need to "save for later" (when I had access to a stove). This was the first thing I decided to try! I had made a similar dish this summer, except with strawberries and almonds I think but this one looked great too! And it turned out really great!!!


Photo Curtesy of Once Upon a Cutting Board - This is made with cherries and almonds. 


Chocolate, Raspberry, Walnut Breakfast Quinoa
Serves 1 (easily doubled)
Recipe adapted from Once Upon A Cutting Board

1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (or unsweetened milk + sweetener of choice)
1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup raspberries
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 Tablespoon chocolate chips

Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, cover, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant - should only take a few minutes.

Remove quinoa from heat, keep covered, and let sit for 5 minutes, until milk is absorbed. If using unsweetened milk, you may wish to add a bit of sweetener at this point (to taste, you could use honey, agave nectar or brown sugar), then recover and let sit 5 minutes.

Add raspberries, almonds, and chocoalte chips to the quinoa, stir and serve warm!

Substitutions:
The original recipe called for cherries instead of raspberries and almonds instead of walnuts. I used raspberries and walnuts because I had them and they sounded good :) Any fruit or nut would work great in this!

No comments:

Post a Comment