A little about your chef...

My name is Mackenzie and I'm a college student in St. Louis, MO. I've always had a passion for cooking and baking but being in college has made it a bit of a challenge! Hope you enjoy these recipes!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Maple Cinnamon Applesauce

I love applesauce. Love it, love it, love it. But what I love even more is homemade, warm applesauce.

I remember every year at our Christmas dinner, Grandma Olga would make her homemade applesauce - and it was always my favorite part of the meal. And ever since, I have loved warm, homemade applesauce. I've rarely had it ouside of our family Christmas meals but the other day I came across a recipe for homemade maple cinnamon applesauce and immediately knew I was making it asap. 

Well, thanks to our new induction burner, it is so easy to make something like this now! I just started it boiling in the corner of the room (on the floor - next to the outlet haha) and settled in and got some homework done... all without leaving the suite! When it was finished, I hesitatingly took a bite, not expecting it to rival Grandma Olga's... but I think I found a competitor! It was FANTASTIC. The flavor was delicious and it tasted exactly like what I remember Grandma's tasting like when I was little... I was thrilled to say the least!

 I made it as an appetizer for our Halloween party and it was the first thing that was gone! Everyone loved it and was so impressed that it was homemade! 

So... after building it up so much - here is the recipe!

(Photo courtesy of Eating Well)

Maple Cinnamon Applesauce
Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Recipe from Eating Well


  • 6 McIntosh or other tart apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 Golden Delicious or other sweet apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine apple pieces and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the apples are very soft and falling apart, about 30 minutes. Mash the apples to the desired consistency and stir in maple syrup and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment